If you read my ramblings please let me know what you think. Good or bad. Your comments will help me become a better writer, I hope.



Also if you have a piece for the writing prompts add them as a comment so I can read them. Please? :)


18 October 2011

observation of love

“I HATE YOU.”


The words were loud and shrill, seeming to bounce off the walls of the small store. Everyone in the building stopped and looked around. Not noticing, or caring, where the sound had come from they continued their shopping, once their initial reaction was over. A couple of them shook their head before moving on. I, on the other hand, was behind the young mother whose child had made the declaration.

I’ve seen this many times with the same reaction. The mother gets upset and the child kicks and screams louder. Soon the mother leaves her buggy and takes the child outside. Today, however, was different. This young woman relaxed her shoulders and continued shopping as if nothing had happened. By now the child was crying and lying on the floor. She pushed her cart with one hand while letting the other hang at her side continuing on down the aisle. When the boy noticed he got up and ran to her.

“Did you hear me?” he asked, his voice cracking with his sobs. “I hate you.”

She ignored his pleas for attention and continued down the aisle. He walked with her, not saying anything. I shamelessly followed because I wanted to see how this turned out.

Soon he was quietly walking beside her and when she entered the checkout line I saw him reach up his hand and place it in her palm.

“I love you mommy,” he said. All signs of anger gone now from his small body.

She closed her hand around his and smiled. “I love you too, son.” She said.

After paying they left the store hand in hand, a smile on their faces.

                                                              *****

This story reminds me of a scripture.


Matthew 18:4

Whosoever therefore shall humbles himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the Kingdom of heaven.

We can kick, scream, and cry but until we put our lives in Gods hands and let him take care of us we will not find peace.

Pat Sinclair-2011

No comments: